How to create and add items to categories in MerchantOS.
The video demonstrates how to create and take advantage of the power of Categories.
Categories can contain sub-categories and offer greater levels of report and organizational detail than using departments.
Our example uses a Candy Bar and Men's shoes - neither are in categories.
Navigate to → Admin → Categories.
Click the New Category button to create a new category.
In this video demo, we create new categories for Shoes, and Food.
- Create a subcategory under Food, named Candy.
- We'll create subcategories under Shoes because we expect that category to have many items. A subcategory can also have a subcategory, such as: shoes > men's shoes > casual men's shoes.
- To edit details for an item, click the Category link.
- Save the item, then move on to the next one.
- Then, when you review item lists, you'll see that your items are now in categories.
Category names can be changed at any time.
Categories allow you to filter reports with more depth than you could with departments. For example, with a year of sales, you'd see how well Men's shoes are selling.
Using categories offers more specific, in-depth results in your reports.