Getting your API Key
How to create and test an API key using MerchantOS
In order to use the MerchantOS API, you need an API key. This key will allow access the contents of your MerchantOS account via our Application Programming Interface. These keys should be protected just like your password.
Creating a New MerchantOS API Key
- Log into your MerchantOS account. https://shop.merchantos.com/
- Click the "Admin" button on at the top as seen in the screenshot below. If you do not see this button, then you do not have the necessary privileges to accomplish this task. Either ask your employer or request help
- Now that you have logged in and entered the Admin section, find and click the "MerchantOS API Keys" button as seen on the screenshot below.
- Step 4. Now you are ready to create a new MerchantOS API Key. Click the "Add New API Key" button like the one seen in the screenshot below.
- Click "Ok" when prompted.
- You will see the new API key listed. Click the pencil next to the API Key entry to edit it.
- Add the privileges you want the key to have. If you choose Access To All Controls with Create, Read, Update, Delete selected and then press "Add Privilege" the key will have access to everything within the API.
You have now created your public key and have access to your MerchantOS account number. If you are ready, look in the next section for testing your API access.
Testing Your API Access
Now that you have acquired your MerchantOS API Key and account number, it is time to go for a test drive.
So, now that you your MerchantOS API Key open up your web browser.
In the address bar of the Firefox browser you just opened, copy and paste the following URL.
When the authentication dialog box opens, enter your MerchantOS API Key into the "Name" field and "apikey" into the "Password" field.
The MerchantOS API will respond with an xml document that lists all of the API controls that are available for you to use. It should look like this: